Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Gettin' Crafty with Microbeads

The first time I ever saw caviar nails, I fell in love. Hard.

When I looked them up I saw that a tiny bottle of beads and polish was $25 and I thought no way. I knew there had to be a cheaper way.

A quick google search told me I could buy some microbeads from Michael's for about $6. So I went and bought the beads and did my beautiful, lovely caviar nails. And boy oh boy, I hated them.

Sure, they looked beautiful, but they were the biggest pain ever! They were getting caught in everything and pulling at my hair and popping off all over the place. What a mess.

Then the idea for these nails came along:


Less beads means less getting caught in things and less hair pulling.

Unfortunately, these suckers still pop off like it's nobody's business. But that's probably because I didn't use topcoat on them. In my previous experience, putting topcoat on the microbeads made their color run and the beads themselves kind of melted. Not a good look.


I'm so pleased with how these turned out! They took a bit of time, but weren't too time consuming, I thought.

I started out with just one coat of Sinful Colors Easy Going.


I only used one coat because my second coat was thick in order for my nail to stay sticky enough for me to get all the beads on before the polish dried.

I poured the microbeads into a shallow dish and using a dotting tool dipped in base coat stuck them on one by one. It did take me a bit, but not too outrageously long.


When putting on the beads, I did a straight line down the middle and then staggered the rest of the lines. I think that gave me the best results!

Since I was too lazy to do my right hand (as always) I decided to do one full caviar nail to show you all how those look.


It looks sooo nice, but I just can't handle the annoyance of a full nail! I ended up taking the full nail off about an hour after I took this picture.

I need to find more nailart uses for my microbeads! I still have 7 whole bottles full of them. 

Back to the drawing board!





No comments:

Post a Comment